Housing benefit

Housing Benefit

Do you want to know more about receiving housing benefit and how to apply?

The following section provides information on applying for and receiving housing benefit.


What is Housing Benefit?

Housing Benefit is for people on a low income who need help with paying their rent. If you're on a low income, whether you're working or not, and need help with paying all or part of your rent, you may be entitled to receive Housing Benefit. 

To get Housing Benefit you must pay rent to the Council, a Registered Social Landlord or a Private Landlord. You can also claim Housing Benefit if you rent a room in a hostel, or are a boarder. You can claim it if you share a flat or a house and can get Housing Benefit as a joint tenant or a sub-tenant.

You can't usually get housing benefit if:

  • You have savings of over £16,000, unless you are getting the 'guarantee credit' of Pension Credit
  • You live in a home of a close relative
  • You are a full time student (unless you're disabled or have children)
  • You are an asylum seeker or are sponsored to be in the UK

Other restrictions
If you live with a partner or civil partner only one of you can get Housing Benefit. If you're single and aged under 25 you can only get Housing Benefit for bed-sit accommodation or one room in shared accommodation.

How much could I get?

The amount of housing benefit you receive depends on your individual circumstances which will be assesed by your council's benefit team. The Council will consider the following:

  • The money you and your partner have coming in, including earning, some benefits and tax credits and any occupational pensions.
  • Your savings and your partner's savings.
  • Your circumstances, such as your age, the ages and size of your family, whether you or any of your family are disabled, and whether anyone who lives with you could help with the rent.

If you are a private tenant paying rent to a private landlord the council is also required to look at:

  • The number of bedrooms required for your household.
  • Where your property is located.

How do I apply?

Claim Online

You should first use the Claim Benefit Online tool to find out if you are entitled to receive housing benefit. You can them make a claim online at the end of using the tool. Please note, this is only intended as a guide.

Claim by Telephone

You can now make a claim by phoning Torfaen Council on 0800 028 2569. They will need your name, address and contact phone number. They will then arrange to complete the claim with you either by personal interview at either Cwmbran or Pontypool Customer Care Centre.

Claim in Person

Call in to one of our Customer Centres and make an appointment for a personal interview.

If you have difficulty getting into one of our offices or using the telephone we can visit you to complete the form. To arrange this contact us on 0800 028 2569 or e-mail us at revs&bens@torfaen.gov.uk. 



Torfaen Council Customer Care Team: 01495 766430
E-mail: revs&bens@torfaen.gov.uk

Or call into a customer care centre:
Cwmbran Library, Gwent House, Cwmbran, Torfaen, NP44 1XQ
Pontypool Customer Centre, Civic Centre, Pontypool, Torfaen, NP4 6YB
Blaenavon World Heritage Centre, Church Road, Blaenavon, Torfaen, NP4 9AS 

Benefit Calculator


Citizens Advice Bureau

Gateway Credit Union