Advice for Homeowners

Advice for Homeowners

Maintaining and managing a home can be a huge responsibility, especially when you are the owner of the property. In this section you will find information and advice about the assistance you might be able to access to help you maintain your home and ensure that it is a safe and comfortable place to live. 


I am at risk of losing my home

If you are worried about losing your home and want to know more about your housing options, you can contact the Torfaen Housing Solutions Service for free impartial advice. For more details visit our Risk of Losing Home page, or call 01495 762200 to speak to a member of the Housing Solutions Team.

I can’t afford repayments on my home

Torfaen Housing Solutions Service offers a dedicated financial inclusion service to support people who are experiencing financial hardship and at risk of losing their home. This is a free service provided by skilled officers who are IMA (Institute of Money Advisors) accredited. 

To speak to a member of the Financial Inclusion Team, please call 01495 762200

I need help to live independently

If you require help to carry out day to day activities or support to live independently, then you may want to consider applying for housing support. Torfaen’s Supporting People Team commission a number of support services to assist people to maintain their independence. For more information visit the Housing Support page, or to speak to someone about receiving support call 01495 742420

I need an adapted property

If you require an adapted property, you may want to consider applying for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG). A DFG is a means-tested grant to help towards the cost of adapting your existing home to enable you to continue to live there. A DFG is paid when the Council considers that changes are necessary to meet your needs, and that the work is reasonable and practical. 

To speak to someone about DFGs please call 01495 762200 

I feel isolated where I live now

If you are looking for opportunities to meet new people then call Be Independent. They can provide information about services in Torfaen including social activities, handyperson services, care, health and money advice.  

To find out if Be Independent can help you call 01495 742700

Other services

Care & Repair are a local charitable body that works to ensure that all older people have homes that are safe, secure and appropriate to their needs. They can help older homeowners and private tenants to repair, adapt and maintain their homes. They will visit you at home to discuss any repairs or adaptations you require, the possible solutions, likely costs and sources of funding. 

To speak to someone about their services please call or click here to visit their website.


Nest is a Welsh Government scheme working to make Welsh homes warmer and more energy-efficient. If you’re worried about the cost of heating your home, you can call 0808 808 2244 free and speak to an advisor or click here to visit their website. You may be eligible for home improvements at no cost. 


Citizens Advice Torfaen are specialists in debt, benefits, housing and employment issues, as well as providing advice on a wide range of subjects including family law and consumer issues. They can help you with official letters, complaints and redress. In addition, they have a dedicated officer who can provide assistance with energy efficiency. You can drop in 10am - 3.30am weekdays in Cwmbran, Pontypool, and Blaenavon or click here to visit their website.


Age Connects aims to reduce poverty, loneliness and isolation by providing information, activities and increasing independence of the service user.” To speak to someone about the services available call 01495 769264.


Home Owners Guide

Care and Repair Torfaen


CAB Torfaen

Age Connects