Support for young people

Hales House

Are you a young person seeking housing support?

Are you at risk of homelessness?

Do you need temporary supported accommodation?

Are you moving out of your family home for the first time and looking for housing advice?


Are you a young person looking to move home?

At the age of 16, you have the right to decide where you want to live. Some options include:

  • continuing to live at home with your parents or carers
  • moving into privately rented accommodation (on your own or with friends)
  • applying for a housing association house or flat

Private Rented Accommodation

If you are considering privately renting, you will need to consider the running costs involved.

For further information visit the Private Rented Accommodation section here.

Social Housing

In Torfaen, Social Housing is provided by Housing Associations and allocated via the Homeseeker scheme. To find out more about this option, visit the Social Rented Housing section here.

Home adaptations and disability equipment

If you require adaptations to your new home, you should contact Social Services for an assessment of your needs. The assessment will consider what equipment and adaptations your new home will need to enable you to live independently, and whether you require any care services to replace those you may have received at home e.g. from family members.You may also be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant to help with the costs.

Contact Social Services for more information: 01495 762200


Help for young homeless people

If you are aged 16 – 25 and experiencing housing problems, or just need some help and advice, then you can visit the Torfaen Young Peoples Support Service (TYPSS).

TYPSS is a drop in service providing advice and information on a wide range of issues that affect young people, including housing, education, mediation, support, careers, health, contraception and benefits. The TYPSS team is committed to helping young people identify and access the most appropriate services to empower them to reach their full potential.

You can contact the TYPSS service on 01633 647538, or you can drop into their offices at:

The Studio, Oldbury Business Estate, Cwmbran.

Hales House

Hales House is purpose built accommodation for young, single, homeless people aged 16-24 and staff provide 24-hour support.

For further information on Hales House contact the Supporting People Team: 01495 766949

If you are facing homelessness and need advice contact the Housing Solutions Service: 01495 742302

Information and advice on living independently

The following guide is useful for young people who are living independently for the first time. View 'A guide to living independently' here.

Facebook Torfaen Homes

Twitter Torfaen Homes

Solas Cymru

Supporting People Programme