Maximising your income


Do you require help and support with budgeting and maximising your income?

The following section provides information on managing finances, support available, and benefit assistance which you may be eligible for.

Are you in debt and needing advice?
Visit the Debt Advice section here.


Are you managing your money?

There are various ways for people living in Torfaen to get help or support with budgeting, claiming benefits and looking for training or employment opportunities. A good place to start is the Citizen’s Advice Bureau (CAB), where you can receive independent and impartial advice and information. The CAB will also be able to signpost you to other services. Find out more about the Citizens Advice Bureau here.

You can also use the Money Advice Service's 'Money Health Check' to find out if you are making the most of your money. Simple answer some questions about you and your money and the free confidential health check will show you what you can do in easy-to-follow steps. Visit the Money Advice Service here.

The Wales Co-operative Centre also promotes social, financial and digital inclusion through a range of projects.

Financial Inclusion

In addition, all customers of Torfaen’s Housing Options service, for example people at risk of homelessness, and people on the Homeseeker register, are eligible for Financial Inclusion support. Through this support you can get help with understanding your benefit entitlement; paying your rent or mortgage; paying bills; and budgeting.

The financial inclusion officer is a member of the Institute of Money Advisor's, ensuring quality, confidence and independence in the advice provided.

Contact Financial Inclusion: 01495 766730 Find out more about the Homeseeker register.

Benefit and Tax Credits Entitlement

If you are in financial difficulty you may be entitled to certain benefits.

You may also be entitled to one of the Jobcentre loans or grants. These are available to households for a number of reasons including experiencing a crisis or attempting to set up a permanent home after a period of unsettled accommodation.

Use the Benefit Calculator to see if you are eligible for any benefits and claim for them.

Find further information on benefits and eligibility criteria at Gov UK. The website also has a benefits advisor service which can be used to identify any benefits you may be entitled to claim.

Tax Credits

The HM Revenue and Customs website provides an online questionnaire to find out if you're likely to qualify for tax credits. You will need to make a claim to receive a definite answer, but this is useful as a guide.

Saving money on your household bills

To find out more about the simple measures you can undertake to save money on your energy bills visit the Saving money on your energy bills page.

Benefit Entitlement Calculator

Wales Co-operative Centre

Money Advice Service