Group repair schemes have been successfully operating for a number of years and have enhanced various areas within Torfaen. Group repair is a form of financial assistance administered by Torfaen County Borough Council with funding from the Welsh Government. It is mainly focused on private properties within designated Renewal Areas. The purpose of group repair schemes is to regenerate Renewal Areas. It consists of carrying out repairs and improvements to the external fabric of privately owned properties and to ensure the properties are structurally stable. Group repair assistance is only available to those who are invited to participate by Torfaen County Borough Council. The maximum amount the applicant will be required to contribute towards the grant is 25% of the overall costs of the works, the remaining 75% will be funded by Torfaen Council. All applicants are entiltled to undergo a financial means test to determine whether this contribution could be reduced further. When group repair grants are approved a charge will be registered against the property for five years with the Land Registry. If you decide to sell your property or move within the charge period, you will be required to pay the grant monies back to Torfaen Council. (Please note some exceptions do apply to paying back the monies within the charge period) It is at the discretion of Torfaen County Borough Council where to target the available funding within renewal areas.
Torfaen County Borough Council may decide to carry out Enveloping Schemes within the renewal areas. Where enveloping schemes are carried out they are fully funded by Torfaen County Borough Council. The purpose of the scheme is to maximise the take up and impact of works being undertaken. Like group repair schemes they tackle external works and structural elements. All assisted properties will have a land charge registered against the property for seven years with Land Registry. If you decide to sell the property or move within the charge period, you will be liable to pay the grant monies back to Torfaen County Borough Council. (Please note some exceptions do apply to repaying the grant within the charge period) It is at the discretion of Torfaen County Borough Council where to target the available funding within renewal areas.
What is a Renewal Area?
There are currently three designated Renewal Areas in Torfaen. A renewal area is identified as having poor housing conditions coupled with social, economic and environmental needs. The aim of declaring a renewal area is to halt the decline of an area and to increase local confidence by improving housing conditions, renovating properties and creating attractive places in which to live.
Each renewal area operates a ten year rolling programme during which property owners may be invited to participate in the Group Repair and Enveloping Schemes. To view the renewal area assessments visit the following links:
Completed Renewal Areas
The following links direct you to newsletters detailing the successes of the completed renewal areas in Blaenavon, Abersychan and Pontypool:
Please note all grants are subject to the availability of funding.
Torfaen Renovation Grants
Renovation Grants are discretionary grants that may be available under certain circumstances. They are designed to assist home owners/private landlords whose properties are over 20 years old and in a state of serious disrepair. It is a condition that you must have owned your property for at least three years (Exceptions for first time buyers and applicants living in renewal areas). The grant is subject to a financial means test (apart from landlords who are required to contribute 50% towards the total cost of the works) and a priority assessment system. Property owners making a grant enquiry will be awarded points depending on the condition of their property and their personal circumstances. These enquiries will then be added to a waiting list and if funding becomes available property owners at the top of the list will be approached first. Currently there is no funding available for this type of grant.
Find out more information on financial means testing. When renovation grants are approved, a charge will be registered against the property for up to five years with the Land Registry. If you decide to sell or move from your property within the charge period, you will be liable to repay the grant monies to Torfaen County Borough Council. (Please note some limited exceptions do apply to paying back the grant within the charge period). Please note all grants are subject to the availability of funding.