Home Adaptations

Home Adaptations

Adaptations to your home may help you or someone you know to maintain an independent lifestyle.

An adaptation is work carried out to the home of a disabled child or adult to:

  • remove or overcome obstacles which prevent them making full use of their home
  • improve help with access to their home


What types of adaptations are available?

There are two types of adaptations: minor and major.

Examples of major adaptations:

* Widening doors
* Wheelchair thresholds
* Installing ramps
* Converting bathrooms or adding a downstairs bathing facility
* Installing a stair lift / through floor lift

Major adaptations may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant. The Grant may cover the cost of a major adaptation in part or whole. Applicants may be eligible for a grant if they have a permanent and substantial physical difficulty. A full assessment of your home will be undertaken to determine your eligibility and what works need to be done. You must apply for this grant before you start any work.

For further information on Disabled Facilities Grants contact:
Disabled People's Service:
01633 648484
E-mail: socialcarecalltorfaen@torfaen.gov.uk

Minor adaptations

Examples of minor adaptations:

* Grap rails
* Threshold ramps
* Pathways and steps
* Door entry systems
If the work you require costs less than £1000 it is classed as a minor adaptation. Minor works do not require a lengthy assessment process; however, they need to be supported by a health or social care professional (occupational therapist, social worker, community nurse, physiotherapist or GP) who will make an application on your behalf through the Council.

Alternatively, if you are able to adaptation work yourself, you may wish to contact:
Torfaen Care and Repair: 08453 101180
E-mail: enquiries@crtorfaen.co.uk
Age Concern Handyman Service: 01495 769264

Find out more about Housing Adaptations by visiting Torfaen's website

Care and Repair Torfaen

Care and Repair Torfaen operates to enable people over 60 years old or disabled people of any age to stay in their own home with increased comfort, warmth and security. This is done by either arranging repairs or adaptations to be carried out to homes or advising on such works.

Care and Reapir is independent and does not charge for services. The service is based at the office of Melin Homes and funded by the National Assembly for Wales via Care and Repair Cymru, Melin Homes, Torfaen County Borough Council and Torfaen Local Health Board.

For further information contact Care and Repair Torfaen:
Telephone: 08453 101180
E-mail: enquiries@crtorfaen.co.uk
Visit: Care and Repair Cymru

Care and Repair Cymru

Age Concern


Melin Homes

Facebook Torfaen Homes

Twitter Torfaen Homes