Advice for Lodgers

Advice for Lodgers

This page is for anyone interested in renting a room in someone else's house, or for anyone looking to houseshare. 

There are a number of websites that advertise rooms for rent.
NB Torfaen Homes does not endorse any particular company or website and you should refer to the individual websites terms and conditions of use.


How much will I have to pay?

The amount of rent will be set by your landlord. If you are on a low income, you may qualify to receive help towards your rent through Housing Benefit. The maximum amount of Housing Benefit that can be paid is set by the shared room rate of Local Housing Allowance. For more information or to make a claim contact a member of the new claims team on 0800 028 2569.

What are my rights?

When you live with a landlord, you will have fewer rights than if you were a tenant renting a home on your own. In most cases you will be classed as an excluded occupier, meaning that you are a licencee, rather than a tenant.

You will be able to continue living in the property, at the discretion of your landlord. Your landlord is only required to give you 'reasonable notice' to end your licence. (Your landlord is not required to obtain a court order to evict you). For more detailed information about your rights, visit Shelter Cymru.

Shelter Cymru

Gov UK




Room Buddies